Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A Gathering of Thoughts

_MG_3135


If your daily life seems poor, do not blame it; blame yourself, tell yourself that you are not poet enough to call forth its riches, for to the creator there is no poverty and no indifferent place. (Renee Rilke)


This quote has benevolently presided over my Life in the Desert blog for 2.5 years now, but today I needed Rilke’s words to be here with me, in this moment, in this Monday, March 6, 2012.  Those glimpses of unexpected art are bursts of joy in ordinary life that make the day extraordinary.

I have never been a prolific journal keeper. I have probably completely filled less than two journals in my lifetime. However, in daily art, I mark my life—its joys, imperfections, failures, and beauty. I am told that this is the hallmark of those who fall into the Enneagram 4 category, which I do. 

I grew up in East Africa. Yet if you ask me about my experiences there, I struggle. Most of what I hold dear to me about those years are impressions—often linked to food.

It is as if the five senses are a more effective mechanism of story telling and processing my life than words ever will be. Images, the quality of a touch, distinct smells, specific foods, music all evoke vivid memories when words fall flat. Perhaps this is why the artistic documentation of the everyday is so meaningful to me. This is how I will convey my memories in years to come. This blog provides the perfect avenue for documenting the art within and around me. Thank you for joining me.

What about you? How do you document and disseminate your story?

"I was here...I was hungry. I was defeated. I was happy. I was sad. I had an idea and I had a good purpose and that is why I made works of art." (Felix Gonzalez-Torres)

1 comment:

  1. What a great question, Sarah. I think most people nowadays would answer with "a facebook status update". I like to document by sharing good stories with well-timed sarcasm and humor...and chai tea.

    ReplyDelete